Monday, November 17, 2008

Thoughts On Teaching

I teach an advanced searching class at the University of Maryland's College of Information Studies with Anne Caputo, SLA's incoming President-Elect. We have a great time, and consider it time well spent. In fact, the class is one of the reasons I'm doing SLA's "23 Things" initiative --our students were getting so far ahead of me on the technology curve.

One of the best things about teaching is that I learn so much from our students. They have fresh perspectives on everything, and so much energy for things, which energizes me.

As usual, we have a great group of students this year. The students that inspire me, though, are the ones who really have to work at it, but they get there. Many if not most of our students are working full-time, and have families, and are taking a course at a time -- sometimes two! And yet they manage, somehow, to get the work done, and the coursework, and the housework, and all.

Hat's off to them.

No comments: